Public Schools – Other Programs

California State Public School Programs:

Community Day Schools more information:

“Community day schools are schools for students who have been expelled from school or who have had problems with attendance or behavior. They are run by school districts or county offices of education. These schools serve troubled students in many ways. They offer challenging classes and teach important skills. They have counselors and other professionals who assist students. The California Department of Education is involved in the funding and management of community day schools.  For information about community day schools in your area, contact your local school district.”

All Counties Community Day Schools Search List:

Sequoia Academy – Santa Cruz County

New School – Santa Cruz County

Continuation Schools

County Court and Community Schools (Juvenile Court Schools)

Juvenile court schools provide public education for individuals who are incarcerated in facilities run by counties. These schools are located in juvenile halls, homes, ranches, and camps. They are also located in day centers and regional youth educational centers.  Youths who are under the authority of the juvenile court system must attend school. They also must take all educational tests required by the state. These schools offer these students a course of study that leads to a high school diploma.

California Department of Education Home and Hospital Program
Jacie Ragland, Education Programs Consultant

Educational Options Office
Learning Support and Partnerships Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 6408, Sacramento, CA 95814-5901
For all school districts, students with a temporary disability (medical, physical, or emotional) may be provided one-on-one tutoring  at their home or residential care site for 1 hour per school attendance day.  Contact the department listed above and/or your school district office for more information.

“Existing law requires each person subject to compulsory education to attend full-time school or continuation school. The Home and Hospital Instruction Program (California Education Code Section 48206.3) serves students who incur a temporary disability, which makes attendance in the regular day classes or alternative education program impossible or inadvisable. The district in which the home or residential health facility is located is responsible for instructing and educating pupils who must be hospitalized or remain at home due to a temporary but extended illness or disability. There is no provision in statute that specifically addresses instructional content; however, the goal of home or hospital instruction should be maintenance of the pupil’s former level of performance while recovering.”

Inter-District Transfers and Open Enrollment

These are requests to either transfer out of your district of residence and into another school district or to to do open-enrollment at another school within your district but which is not your neighborhood school.  Parents must check with both their current or neighborhood school and the school of choice for transfer regulations, forms, deadlines, etc.  Requests are most often made due to family preference but may also be made in line with No Child Left Behind guidelines concerning low-performing schools (see below.)

NOTE: Special Education students may or may not be accepted to a transfer school or may not be able to receive special education services there (regulated by the state.)

Find a Higher Performing School for Transfer – 2011-12 School Year
First, you will need to know the 2010 Growth API score for your school of residence. You can find the “2010 Growth API” on the CDE Open Enrollment Schools List 2011-12 (Revised 01-Jul-2011; XLS; 175KB; 25pp.).

To find a school with a higher API score, go to API County List of Schools and select a county. Under “Select Report”, choose the “2010 Growth API Report – List of Schools in the County.” Review the first column, “2010 Growth API” for the names of schools and API scores. Compare your current school of residence API score with the school you desire to attend. The score of the desired school must be higher than that of your school of residence in order for you to apply for transfer.

Santa Cruz County Inter-District Transfer

Live Oak School District – inter-district transfer – click here

Pajaro Valley Unified School District
For intra-district (within district) click here
For inter-district (outside district) click here

Santa Cruz City Schools
For open enrollment (within district) or inter-district transfer click

Scotts Valley Unified School District – click here

San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District – click here

Soquel Union Unified School District – click here

Magnet Programs

A magnet program is a program in a public school that usually focuses on a special area of study, such as science, the performing arts, or career education. A magnet school is an entire school with a special focus. These programs and schools are designed to attract students from across a district. Students may choose to attend a magnet school instead of their local school.

Opportunity Programs

Opportunity Education provides a supportive environment with specialized curriculum, instruction, guidance and counseling, psychological services, and tutorial assistance to help students overcome barriers to learning. It should not be viewed as a permanent placement for resistant learners but as a short-term intervention to ensure that students will succeed when they return to their regular classrooms.

Residential Care for Students with Disabilities
Contact the Interagency-Nonpublic Schools/Agencies Unit, Special Education Division
916-327-0141   OR   e-mail at

California State Law:
“The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) authorizes residential care for students with disabilities in Section 300.104 of Title 34 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR):
If placement in a public or private residential program is necessary to provide special education and related services to a child with a disability, the program, including non-medical care and room and board, must be at no cost to the parents of the child.

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) authorizes residential care for students with disabilities in Section 300.104 of Title 34 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR):
If placement in a public or private residential program is necessary to provide special education and related services to a child with a disability, the program, including non-medical care and room and board, must be at no cost to the parents of the child.

Santa Cruz County Other Programs (not all schools participate)

Avid (Advancement via Individual Determination)
The Region V AVID Program serves 91 schools in Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz Counties. Services and support to these schools include professional development and training for teachers and tutors and an in-school academic support program for grades 4-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success, which offers tutoring to students in the program.  Avid places academically average students in advanced classes and levels the playing field for minority, rural, low-income and other students without a college-going tradition in their families.

Foster Youth Services
Find information about this program for foster youth.
Resources and Links:
Find school district liaisons for foster youth and foster youth resources such as Foster Youth Rights brochure, legal information, placement agencies, and counseling services.

Head Start Program Locator
Search by city and state to find local programs for children who benefit from this national program that promotes school readiness by enhancing the social and cognitive development of children through the provision of educational, health, nutritional, social and other services to enrolled children and families.  Programs in Santa Cruz and Watsonville – see website for contact info.

Migrant Head Start – Central California Migrant Head Start
Offers day-long childcare, educational activities, and services for children of seasonal farmworkers, including those in North and South Santa Cruz County.

Santa Cruz County Inmate Programs
Training Programs:
Offers classes on computers, auto painting, GED, animal bonding, and others.
Outside education:
Lists schools and education programs, as well as education resources for inmates.

Santa Cruz Outdoor Science School
Santa Cruz County Schools Outdoor Science Program offers middle school students a week-long outdoor science learning experience in a camp setting.

Students in Transition
The SCCOE Students in Transition Program assists homeless families and youth to access their right to a free and appropriate public education. Students in Transition (SIT) offers trainings to school sites to help identify homeless children and works cooperatively with educators to ensure that homeless students are being served with their special needs in mind. Students are offered backpacks and school supplies, clothing and shoe vouchers, bus passes and tutoring through the Write Start Project.

Transition Services for Special Education Students
Downloadable guide to transition services for readying students with IEP’s for a vocation, college education, or independent living.